Wednesday, February 23, 2005

One Day at a Time

OK, I might as well come clean. I know you suspected it. So, yes, I watched the One Day at a Time reunion last night. Why? I don't know. When the show was on I never watched it regularly, but if it was on and I was in the room, I didn't turn it off. Like most any Norman Lear show, it had too much yelling for me. Apparently a lot of people could identify with Ms. Romano, the young single mom with her two daughters, but I wasn't one of them. The show had a few laughs, but it just never really interested me, and I never watched it at all after the first two or three seasons. I was, in fact, amazed to learn that it stayed on the air for nine years.

Now for the age thing. It just doesn't seem possible that Mackenzie Phillips is 44. That Valerie Bertinelli is 43. That Bonnie Franklin is 61. That Pat Harrington Jr. is 75.

Good grief. Now I'm feeling old again. You young whippersnappers can laugh, but some day you'll know what it's like. I'm just sorry I won't be there to laugh and point at you.

3 comments:

Brent McKee said...

I was a devoted "One Day At A Time" watcher, initially because it was made by Norman Lear, but that reason was rapidly overtaken by a serious lust for "bouncy" Bonnie Franklin in all her small but braless glory. I'm still trying to figure out how Valerie Bertinelli got that old though.

Graham Powell said...

Valerie's family was from Shreveport, where I grew up. I good friend of mine once watched in awe as Eddie Van Halen bought a pack of cigarettes at the corner 7-11.

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

Man, I really need to start writing this stuff down -- I had wanted to watch this, and I completely forgot about it...