Saturday, April 09, 2005

Bye-bye, MGM

CNN.com - Bye-bye, MGM - Apr 8, 2005: "Bye-bye, MGM
Famed studio, and UA partner, swallowed up in purchase"

The summer after I graduated from college, I drove back to the campus to take the Graduate Record Exam. While I was there, I walked around to have a look at some of the places where friends of mine had lived and where I'd spent lots of hours goofing off. Mike Leary and Allan Rast had spent their freshman year at a place we called the Newman Club, a Catholic rooming house. When I went by that summer day, there was nothing left of it but a few boards and a couple of bricks. A sign in front said, "Another Building Demolished by Prather and Sons." I've thought about that sign a lot in the ensuing years. Seems as though the older I get, the more I think about it, dagnabbit.

1 comment:

Cap'n Bob said...

The whole thing is sickening, and I don't see the business world ever getting better. I think Network was prophetic: There won't be any more countries, only corporations, and they will rule the Earth.