Sunday, May 01, 2005

The LeBlanc Challenge

This weekend at a writing workshop in Winnsboro, Texas, I met Deborah LeBlanc, a writer who's concerned about literacy, as I'm sure many people are. The difference in Deborah and the others is that she's actually trying to do do something about it. Here's the deal in her own words: "The LeBlanc Challenge will focus on reading, reading comprehension, and writing skills. The winner of this challenge will receive $5000 in cash, PLUS an additional $1000, which will go to the public school of their choice for the purchase of text and/or library books. To further the literacy cause, I'm adding a 'kicker' to the challenge. Should the winner choose to keep his or her winnings in a college fund, (either for themselves or a child) I will personally work with the chosen university regarding a matching funds program. As I'm sure you are aware, a matching funds program can turn that initial $5000 into $10,000. Not a bad start for a college education."

The contest requires the reading of Deborah's books, but I have to admit that this is one of the best promotional ideas I've seen in that its intent is to get people involved in both reading and writing. I think it's a great idea.

No comments: