Friday, June 10, 2005

The Scarlet Pimpernel on the Air

While discussing Zorro with a friend the other day, I mentioned the Scarlet Pimpernel. And it occurred to me that I'd heard a Pimpernel radio show when I was a kid. "Nah," my friend said. "I don't think so." Naturally I had to check it out on the Internet. As it turns out, he was sort of right. There wasn't a radio show, as such, but was a serial version of the novel that was made in Britain and run in the U.S. by NBC in 1952-53. I'd have been eleven years old, and I'm sure that's what I heard. The question is, do I want to order the show now and listen to it again after all these years? Probably not.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You want to hear this. Trust me. The production values are excellent, the writing is top-notch, and the acting is grand.

The Harry Todd production isn't a serialization of the novel; rather, it's a collection of 30-minute original adventures based on the Baroness' characters. I'm about halfway through the series of 50, and the writers have already left the Revolution behind them and entered into war between the English and the French, with a sinister agent of the Republic, one Bonaparte, already having made his first appearance.

OTRCat is where I picked up my series on MP3s, for the princely sum of $5. He's a great guy and has a vast catalog of all sorts of radio stuff.

mybillcrider said...

Thanks. I knew I remembered this series, however vaguely. I'll have to see about getting a CD.