Friday, October 07, 2005

Flightplan

Yes, it's happened again. While you were gleefully watching all the discs in your new Val Lewton collection, I (movie slut that I am) was attending Flightplan. And the reason? I've confessed this before, I'm sure, but for those of you with failing short-term memories (like me), here's the sad truth: Judy and I often base our movie attendance not on the quality of the films involved but on the times they happen to be playing. Today, Flightplan fit right into our schedule. So we went.

I'd heard from one inveterate moviegoer that this was a really good thriller. I don't agree. I thought it was okay, maybe about a C. You know the story, right? Jodie Foster's on this big plane, and her six-year-old daughter disappears. Or does she? Jodie seems to be the only one aboard who's actually seen the kid, and Jodie's been under a lot of stress lately, what with the recent death of her husband and all. So maybe she's just nuts. We in the audience know better of course, because she's Jodie Foster. No way is she nuts. Naturally we wonder what the heck's going on, and the search for the kid begins. Luckily Jodie is jet-propulsion engineer and knows all about the plane, including a bunch of stuff you wouldn't think would be important to an engineer. I won't say any more about the plot except to mention that there are several things that struck me as highly unlikely if not totally implausible. But in this kind of movie, you expect that kind of thing.

1 comment:

Cap'n Bob said...

Kristine and I saw it yesterday and our reaction was the same. We enjoyed it while we were watching it, but we spent the entire drive home discussing plot holes and improbabilities. We also agreed that Jodie Foster was way to old to be the mother of a six-year-old. At least the audience was quite. That's about three movies in a row without gabbers. Is the the dawn of a new era?