Saturday, July 08, 2006

Meet Felix the Cat

When Felix showed up in the neighborhood, he was in pretty bad shape. I couldn't decide if he'd been thrown from a moving car or just run over by one. Most of the fur on top of his head was missing, one eye was swollen shut, and there was a severe cut on the inside of one of his back legs. He wouldn't let anybody get near him, and I wasn't sure he'd survive. I put food out for him in the garage anyway, and he sneaked in at night and ate. After a while he started showing up in the daytime, and I was able to coax him into the house for short periods of time. Eventually he started to trust me, so I was able to get him into a carrier and take him to visit the vet, who neutered him (that'll teach him to trust me!), worked on his eye, and gave him some shots. The eye was the real problem, but after a couple more trips to the vet, Felix can now open the eye and see pretty well from it. As you can tell, the fur's grown back on his head. The scar on his leg is so bad that probably nothing will grow there again, but that's okay. As you can also tell, Felix has made himself at home with us. He's gained a lot of weight, and he's looking good. Our other two cats aren't pleased, but it looks like Felix is here to stay.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am not responsible for this cat. Speaking of which, how is Geraldine these days?

Unknown said...

Hard as it is to believe, Geri's about 12 years old now, and starting to show her age a little. I'm taking her to the vet soon for the annual check up.

Unknown said...

I'll pass the compliment along to Felix.

mtmorgan said...

Nice story. Good for you and Felix.

Cap'n Bob said...

You're a fine human being, Bill. The next time I want to dump a cat, I'll know just where to go.