Thursday, October 12, 2006

Wolfking of L.A. -- John Phillips


Sometime back in 1969 or so I walked into a record store and saw this LP. I'd heard "Mississippi" on the radio, and I thought it was probably one of the best "Top 40"-type songs I'd heard in years, so I bought the album. I played it a lot because I liked every song on it. I never got tired of hearing "Mississippi," which was a bit different from the single version, or any of the others, particularly "Holland Tunnel," "April Anne," "Captain (The Mermaid)," or all the rest for that matter. When the album was released on CD the first time, I didn't buy it or even hear about it. Later, I looked for it used, but the prices were sky high. When it was released again recently, I couldn't wait to hear it. When I did, it was as if 35 years hadn't been more than 35 minutes. All the songs were instantly familiar and just as listenable as ever. If you get the chance, check it out. Great stuff. (Warning: Probably not of interest to headbangers.)

4 comments:

Graham Powell said...

Is this the Phillips of The Mamas and the Papas?

mybillcrider said...

The very same. This album was the one that was going to jump-start his solo career. I guess it didn't. Before the Mamas and Papas, Phillips was in a folk group called The Journeymen with John Stewart, who later became part of the Kingston Trio. Phillips was considered for the KT at the same time, but Stewart got the job.

Anonymous said...

I think Scott MacKenzie of San Francisco (Wear Flowers in your Hair) fame was also a member of that group. I know Phillips produced that single for him

mybillcrider said...

Yes, Scott MacKenzie was in that group with Phillips. But John Stewart wasn't. He was in The Cumberland Three, instead. I get those trios mixed up sometimes.