Friday, January 12, 2007

Happy Birthday, Ray Price!

The list of Ray Price's classic hits goes on and on. I was sorry to see him switch to the violin-heavy backgrounds, because I prefer the songs from his hardcore-country music days, but it's hard to argue with the success he had. He's still touring, and Kasey Lansdale opened for him in Austin last fall. I believe she'll be opening for him again a couple of times this year. Two country legends.

Ray Price (musician) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia: "Ray Price (born January 12, 1926 in Perryville, Texas) is an American country and western singer/songwriter/guitarist. Some of his more famous songs include 'Release Me', 'Crazy Arms', 'Heartaches By the Number', 'City Lights', 'My Shoes Keep Walking Back To You' and 'Danny Boy.' He was elected to the Country Music Hall of Fame in 1996."

2 comments:

Ivan G Shreve Jr said...

I can't believe I forgot Ray Price's birthday! I'm like you, Bill--I prefer the early Price stuff before he succumbed to the strings and bushwah. Songs like Burning Memories, Under Your Spell Again, My Shoes Keep Walking Back to You--that's the stuff, boy...

Unknown said...

Yep, back when he was The Cherokee Cowboy. Great stuff.