Monday, January 01, 2007

I Always Suspected This

FBI Considered "It's A Wonderful Life" Communist Propaganda | Wise Bread
In 1947, . . the FBI considered this anti-cosumerist message as subversive Communist propaganda (read original FBI memo).

According to Professor John Noakes of Franklin and Marshall College, the FBI thought Life smeared American values such as wealth and free enterprise while glorifying anti-American values such as the triumph of the common man.

Thanks to Al (Hard Man) Guthrie for the link.

2 comments:

Benjie said...

The FBI may have "detested the way Potter was portrayed". I've always detested the fact that Potter is the name chosen for the bad guy or reprobate in literature.

Chalk one positive note up for Rowling's hero. I stopped reading the series after I couldn't find anything really new beyond the first book (I did try volumes 2 and 3), but at least a Potter finally gets to be the hero.

Unknown said...

And about time, too.