Sunday, March 04, 2007

Robin Hood

I watched the first episode of BBC's Robin Hood last night and liked it. Jonas Armstrong's no Errol Flynn. He's moodier and broodier and lacks the zest I enjoyed so much in the Flynn film. He also looks too young for a guy who's supposedly been in the Holy Land slaying infidels for five years, but then nobody should expect realism in a series where the peasants all look as if they've just come from a shower and a hair stylist. Richard Armitage seems okay as Guy of Gisborne. I'm sure the character will get more development as the series goes on. Keith Allen's Sheriff of Nottingham is not a guy you'd trust with your birds. Lucy Griffiths' Maid Marian is a fiesty cliche, but maybe that will change. I'm wondering about Sam Troughton as Much, the miller's son. He's comic relief but seems to have secrets we're yet to learn.

The show looks good, and the bow-and-arrow stuff is fun. Shooting two arrows at once? Even Flynn didn't try that one, and how about that sword toss? I think I'll stick with this one for a few episodes, and maybe for the whole run. Check it out.

10 comments:

Brent McKee said...

The Errol Flynn version is the gold standard for Robin Hood isn't it, although I confess to being partial to the 1950s era TV show with Richard Long. I have only seen clips of Douglas Fairbanks' silent version (trivia note - Alan Hale Sr. played Little John in both the Fairbanks and the Flynn version and his last role was as Little John in low budget Rogues of Sherwood Forest with John Derek playing Robin). As for the Kevin Costner version, well it's always a joy to see Alan Rickman chew scenery but otherwise a complete waste of time. Even casting Sean Connery as Richard was wrong - Richard was 42 at the time of his death.

I don't have much trouble with a young Robin who has been at the Crusades for five years. For individual knights this was more of an adventure and a land grab than anything else so it stands to reason that younger men would participate.

Unknown said...

I have a few episodes of the Richard Greene show on DVD and can still sing the theme song.

Cap'n Bob said...

Okay, Bill, we'll expect one of your famous video clips of you singing the Robin Hood (with Richard Green, not Richard Long, as you noted)theme song. It can go in the archives with my LouieFest appearance.

Benjie said...

I enjoyed the new effort as well. I'll probably give them three or so episodes to really hook me. My fear is that they'll turn it into a drama instead of an action serial.

I'm also with the Cap'n on the video version of Richard Greene's Robin Hood theme song.

Unknown said...

That's one video you'll never see!

Anonymous said...

Well, I will be watching your blog for future comments. As an American who has seen the complete series and reviewed it, I was surprised at your positive comments on "Will You Tolerate This", especially if Costner's turn was a disappointment (and it was to me, too).

I'll check in next week!

Unknown said...

Well, it was a little too modern for me, but I still liked it. Can't quite explain why.

Anonymous said...

Precisely why I will want to check back in; and if you figure out what it was or is that you liked about it, please share.

Unknown said...

Well, for one thing, I can't resist a really evil Sheriff of Notthingham. I believe Russell Crowe's going to make a movie in which the Sheriff is the good guy. I'm not sure I can go for that.

Anonymous said...

Yes, the new Crowe film. Well, I will reserve final comment until I read more, see trailers, or watch the whole thing, but my gut reaction is, "Oh, NO!"

As for an evil sheriff, Keith Allan's Vasey is not nice or brave, so you do have some treats in store for the next 12 weeks!

I'm off until the weekend, when I'll be back for episode 2 comments.