Friday, March 09, 2007

Top 5 Sidekicks

What? No Gabby Hayes?

Survey Says Chewbacca Is The Ultimate Sidekick - Starpulse News Blog: "Movie wookie Chewbacca has topped a new internet poll created to find the ultimate Celebrity Sideman. The Star Wars character, portrayed by Peter Mayhew, beat Burt Reynolds' sidekick Victor Prinzim (Dom DeLuise) in The Cannonball Run to land the title in Maxim.com new list.

The top five film friends are:


1. Chewbacca (Peter Mayhew) in Star Wars
2. Victor Primzin (Dom DeLuise) in The Cannonball Run
3. Short Round (Ke Huy Quan) in Indiana Jones & The Temple Of Doom
4. Samwise Gamgee (Sean Astin) in Lord Of The Rings
5. Barney Fife (Don Knotts) in The Andy Griffith Show"

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

I’m favorably inclined toward any list that includes Barney Fife, but you’d think the long-suffering Martin Pawley (“The Searchers”) would be in there somewhere.

Unknown said...

As long as Barney's on the list, I'm happy.

Benjie said...

Is that why Dan Rhodes has a double dose of Barney at the jailhouse?

Unknown said...

One never knows.

Cap'n Bob said...

Gabby Hayes has to be #1 in any universe.

pattinase (abbott) said...

How about Rhoda Morganstern? Girls can be sidekicks too!

Unknown said...

Well, then, Ethel Mertz would be #1.

Anonymous said...

Smiley Burnette just snuck up on Don Knotts in Sidekick Heaven and stole the bullet from his shirt pocket, while Pat Buttram and Al "Fuzzy" St. John distracted him. Yer dern tootin' they did!

Unknown said...

And where was Fuzzy Knight when all this was happening?

Anonymous said...

Where's Tonto?!

Unknown said...

Good question. This is another list where Old Guys weren't among the voters.

Anonymous said...

Can't believe no one has mentioned that Chewbacca's look and vocalizations were lifted from Gabby Hayes. There's not an original thought in STAR WARS.

stilwell

Unknown said...

But that's what makes it so good.

Anonymous said...

It is not good. It is dreck. I thought so when I saw it in 1978 and I think so today.

Stilwell

Unknown said...

You are a curmudgeonly sort, Steve, and I forgive you.

Anonymous said...

Ha! Star Wars is NOT Drek, Stillwell. But on topic, since I've just read some Parry Mason books, I'd vote for Paul Drake as sidekick.

Unknown said...

Steve will never admit he's wrong, Rick.

Anonymous said...

I also can't believe Chet Morton isn't on the list...

Unknown said...

Or Aunt Gertrude, for that matter.

Anonymous said...

That's because I've never been wrong. Just ask my wife. And Robinson should figure out how to spell my name (not to mention Perry Mason's).

Stilwell

Unknown said...

I don't know who they are, but I hope you find them.