Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Solomon Vs. Lord -- Paul Levine

This is the book I read on the plane to New York. It was a perfect airplane book for me: well-written funny, not too dark. Levine was at the Edgar reception for nominees because the second Solomon vs. Lord book was nominated for best paperback, so I was able to meet him and tell him how much I enjoyed this one.

It's a typical "opposites attract" story with a couple of lawyers who are obviously meant for each other, though you're supposed to wonder if they'll ever get together. Not that you ever doubt it. Solomon is a prickly guy who has issues with his father. He's caring for his autistic nephew, and he lawyers pretty much by the seat of his pants. Lord is a by-the-book prosecutor who tangles with him from their first meeting.

Before long, thanks to some adroit contrivances, they're law partners taking on one of the biggest homicide cases in Miami history. Solomon also finds himself in court as a defendant when the social services folks try to take Bobby away from him. He's defended by Lord. As you can tell, there are quite a few contrivances in the book, including the fact that judges in both cases couldn't be more suited to the situation.

But who cares? It's all in good fun, and there's plenty of snappy patter, some action, fine local color, and a fast-moving storyline to keep you happy. I'll definitely read the second in the series, so check it out.

4 comments:

Gerald So said...

I read SOLOMON VS. LORD last February and was impressed with Levine's handling of pace. The protags' voices were distinct and strong enough to carry me past any contrivances. It's developed into one of my favorite new series.

Unknown said...

I'm looking forward to the sequel, and I believe the third one's out, or about to be.

Gerald So said...

The third one, KILL ALL THE LAWYERS, came out in August '06. The fourth, TRIAL AND ERROR, comes out end of this month.

Unknown said...

As usual, I'm way behind.