Thursday, August 16, 2007

FOXNews.com - Man Reveals Legend of Mystery Visitor to Edgar Allan Poe's Grave - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News

Those of you who have read my story called "But I See the Bright Eyes" know the real truth of this.

FOXNews.com - Man Reveals Legend of Mystery Visitor to Edgar Allan Poe's Grave - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News: "BALTIMORE — The legend was almost too good to be true.

For decades, a mysterious figure dressed in black, his features cloaked by a wide-brimmed hat and scarf, crept into a churchyard to lay three roses and a bottle of cognac at the grave of Edgar Allan Poe.

Now, a 92-year-old man who led the fight to preserve the historic site says the visitor was his creation. 'We did it, myself and my tour guides,' said Sam Porpora. 'It was a promotional idea. We made it up, never dreaming it would go worldwide.'"

6 comments:

Randy Johnson said...

A punctured legend. I'm not sure what I really expected, but this wasn't it.

JD Rhoades said...

Has anyone told Laura Lippman yet?

Cap'n Bob said...

Did they ever say who drank the cognac?

Unknown said...

You'd have to read my story to get the answer, Cap'n.

Writeprocrastinator said...

What, they didn't interview Valentino's ghost for a comment?

Unknown said...

They probably didn't think of that.