Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Hot Fuzz

Is it just me, or was this movie about half an hour too long?

The idea's this: Angel is a top London cop, so good that he makes the others look bad. Naturally he's transfered to a small English village where nothing ever happens. Or does it? There sure are a lot of accidents for such a small town.


Hot Fuzz
is a parody of every buddy cop movie ever made, but the set-up's too long for me. Some of the jokes are funny, but I'm sure there are a hundred or two more in-joke references to other movies that I missed.

It was only the the other day that I complained about the drawn-out climactic scene in another movie. Well, that pales by comparison with the one here. Of course that's the point. You can't parody ever aspect of every climactic scene in every cop movie if you don't drag it out. But forty minutes?


I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that I've become a bitter old coot, sitting by the fire, wrapped in my shawl, and that I no long know what's funny. You're probably right, but I did laugh at this movie. Great cast, fine performances, some amusing stuff. But for me it worked only about half the time. So it must be true. My sense of humor has atrophied. Sad.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nah. It is too long. But my housemate Alice liked it better than SHAUN OF THE DEAD in part because it's more upbeat, and in part because it spends so much time with the characters (even if they don't actually gain all the dimensions one might want).

Graham Powell said...

YARP, this movie is too long. But it had a lot of funny bits in it. I saw it at the theater and thought it was worth the price of admission.

pattinase (abbott) said...

I liked it too (though not as much as Shawn of the Dead) but I find everthing is half an hour too long. Including hour tv shows.

Unknown said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I was feeling pretty bad about myself. Now I have company.

Anonymous said...

I quite liked it, but I thought it was also a parody of the "Dull English Village Movie Where Nothing Ever Happens until Hugh Grant Shows Up And Then Even Less Happens," so I put my feet up and enjoyed the scenery.

Anonymous said...

I haven't seen it yet but I loved SHAUN OF THE DEAD so I'm sure I will.