Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy Birthday, J. D. Salinger

Salinger turns eighty-nine today. Not everybody loves Salinger's work, but I'll never forget the first time I read The Catcher in the Rye. You might think that a kid growing up in smalltown Texas 50 years ago couldn't relate to Holden Caulfield. You'd be wrong. The book knocked me out. I laughed, I cried, I wished I could write like that. I don't know what Salinger's been up to since he went into seclusion, but maybe he's written another book as wonderful as the Catcher. It's something to hope for.


Ed Gorman said...

Man we're hittin em all this week--Catcher, Legend, Power. Old dufferdom reigns!!!!!

norby said...

You mean he's still alive?

Cap'n Bob Napier said...

I not only recall reading it, but it was the Signet edition you showcased. I need to revisit the book since I forget so much of it.

Michael Krahn said...


I recently read The Catcher in the Rye and put some thoughts up about it here:


Take a look if you're interested.