Friday, July 18, 2008

That's Right, Sugar Land

5,000 gallons of molasses in Sugar Land | Chron.com - Houston Chronicle: "SUGAR LAND, Texas — A sticky mess has been cleaned up after an overturned tanker truck poured 5,000 gallons of molasses onto a major Texas highway.

Drivers heading to Sugar Land were rerouted Thursday after the afternoon accident shut down Texas 6 at Southwest Freeway for eight hours.

The Houston Chronicle reports City of Sugar Land spokeswoman Pat Pollicoff said the road reopened around midnight Thursday because of the coating of 'healthy, all natural molasses.' The spilled molasses was supposed to be used in cattle food."

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sorry, Texas, Massachusetts STILL LEDS THE WAY in the Great Molasses Flood (1-15-19).

Unknown said...

I've read about that. A classic story.

Benjie said...

Who's going to write the "disaster" story or Disaster Movie script based on that one? I'll be waiting to read or watch.

Randy Johnson said...

Weirdly, the first thing I thought of when I read your title was the movie, The Sugarland Express. It's been years since I saw it, but I believe it starred Goldie Hawn and was directed by Steven Spielberg.

Unknown said...

Oddly enough, Randy, Sugar Land used to be spelled Sugarland. I don't know when the change was made. It's where Imperial Sugar used to be made, and when we first moved here, I toured the plant. Closed now, though.

Anonymous said...

The Massachusetts spill makes a cameo appearance in the new Dennis Lehane novel, The Given Day. Which I liked quite a lot. 700 pages. But it reads shorter.

sas