Saturday, February 07, 2009

A Day in the Life of Donald Hamilton

Understanding Adobe - SantaFeNewMexican.com: "Ed Crocker | For The New Mexican

2/1/2009 - 2/1/09

Donald Hamilton, for those who may not know, died in 2007 in Sweden at the age of 91. Don was one of the 'hard-boiled' writers of mystery and noir who is often listed alongside Spillane, Prather and MacDonald. Among his early works were westerns, of which The Big Country is the most famous, but Don was most widely known for the Matt Helm thrillers whose secret-agent hero has been called the American James Bond. The first book in that series was entitled Death of a Citizen."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cool article. I'm finally making my way through a pair of Hamilton's westerns (The Big Country and Mad River) and they're terrific. It's been a while since I read Hamilton; I forgot how good he was. Next I'll dig out some of his stand-alone thrillers. Then, God held me, I may go looking for some favorite Matt Helms...

Unknown said...

The movie version of THE BIG COUNTRY was on the other night. Great stuff.