Friday, February 06, 2009

James Whitmore, R. I. P.

James Whitmore dies at 87; veteran actor brought American icons to life - Los Angeles Times: "James Whitmore, the veteran Tony- and Emmy-winning actor who brought American icons Will Rogers, Harry Truman and Theodore Roosevelt to life in one-man shows, died Friday. He was 87.

Whitmore died of lung cancer at his home in Malibu, said his son, Steve. He was diagnosed with the disease a week before Thanksgiving.

'He cared about acting; his whole life was dedicated to the theater and to movies,' said actor David Huddleston, a longtime friend who appeared in Whitmore's 1964 movie 'Black Like Me' and did a couple of plays with him. 'I asked James Cagney one time to tell me the best thing you can about acting. He said never to get caught at it. That's kind of how I'd sum up Jim Whitmore.'"

6 comments:

August West said...

I'll always remember him as Gus Minissi in "The Asphalt Jungle" and as Brooks in "The Shawshank Redemption".

Young and old, he was a fine, versatile actor...

Anonymous said...

Um, Bill, isn't that a picture of James Arness?

Anonymous said...

James Whitmore was in Them! however.

Which I think I will watch today as I do my huge load of homework.

Unknown said...

Yes, that's Whitmore in THEM!

Anonymous said...

the picture is James Arness. Whitmore played a state trooper and wore a uniform in the desert scenes.

Unknown said...

Oops, Anders was right. I put up the wrong pic from my file. Now corrected.