Sunday, July 19, 2009

Frank McCourt, R. I. P.

Frank McCourt, late-blooming author of 'Angela's Ashes,' dies at 78 - Los Angeles Times: "Frank McCourt, the retired New York City schoolteacher who launched his late-in-life literary career by tapping memories of his grim, poverty-stricken childhood in Ireland to write the Pulitzer Prize-winning memoir 'Angela's Ashes,' died Sunday of cancer. He was 78.

McCourt, who was recently treated for melanoma and then became gravely ill with meningitis, died at a hospice in New York City, his brother Malachy told the Associated Press.

'I'm a late bloomer,' a 66-year-old McCourt told the New York Times shortly after publication of 'Angela's Ashes' in 1996."

5 comments:

Ed Gorman said...

What a fine gentle man he was, a real tribute to our tribe.

Cap'n Bob said...

Spammers got you, Bill.

Tech said...

May he rest in peace.

jj solari said...

I am decent fine citizen of your distant country. I am honest. I will not hurt you or your three children. I have paper here from all world leaders saying you can be nice to me for a great reward. thank you. signed, jj American Citizen Amen.

Anonymous said...

Dave Barry had a beautiful tribute to Mr. McCourt on his blog.

Jeff