Monday, October 19, 2009

The Vampire Affair -- Livia Reasoner

Dear Blog Readers (and Mr. FTC Guy): I got this book for free. Also, I've known the author for many years. True, I've seen her only once, but she's married to James Reasoner, whom I've known and seen a lot more more often and whom I consider a friend. So now you know.

As you can plainly see by the cover to the left there, this is supposedly a romance novel in the Silhouette Nocturne series. Vampires, as anyone can tell you are a hot item these days in romance. But I'll bet this book isn't what you're thinking it is. The vampires here aren't the romantic leads. They're the bad guys. The very bad guys.

Maybe you've read John Steakley's
Vampire$. Or seen the John Carpenter movie based on it. Bad-ass vampire hunters after bad-ass vampires, right? Okay, now imagine that as a romance novel. You say you can't? Well, Livia Reasoner pulls it off. Lots of action, big explosions, plenty of vampire killing, and, of course romance. I don't know if there are sequels in the Nocturne line, but there's plenty of room for one, and I hope it gets written. I'll read it even if I don't get a free copy.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not only all that, but I have it on excellent authority that there's never a typo in her manuscripts.