1. The down-and-out unlicensed p. i. who's a recovering alcoholic. Oh, yeah, and he's divorced but still loves his ex.
2. The old friend who might as well have been wearing and "I'm going to be murdered" T-shirt.
3. "You might be an addled druggie, and bad men might be trying to kill you, but you are the daughter of my old friend, so I will save and protect you.
4. The rich and powerful and evil California real estate developer.
5. "You might be a rich and powerful and evil California real estate developer, but you had my old friend killed, so I will destroy you."
6. And probably others I've already forgotten.
Maybe the second show will turn all this stuff on its head. We'll see.