Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Forgotten Films: Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla

Sammy Petrillo and Duke Mitchell play Jerry Lewis and Dean Martin, I mean they play Sammy and Duke in this scientifically convincing film about a mad doctor (played with subtle charm by Bela Lugosi) who lives on the island of Kola Kola and does mad doctor experiments. In this case, he injects Duke with a serum that changes him into an incredibly realistic gorilla!

Duke sings, Sammy does Jerry, and the hilarity piles up in this classic horror comedy that no one should miss. Why this one didn't collect a few Oscars is a mystery, but then if the Academy could overlook Denise Richards, I suppose it happens all the time.

8 comments:

Scott Cupp said...

The Gorilla should have gotten Best Supportiong Actor!

Anonymous said...

Yes it was a classic.

Sammy was a scarily accurate Jerry Lewis clone.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!"

Jeff

pattinase (abbott) said...

You guys can always outdo me for forgotten or obscure.

James Reasoner said...

I wonder if that's Ray "Crash" Corrigan in the gorilla suit. That was his second career after he quit playing cowboys.

Bud said...

@ pattinase: ditto for me, but I appreciate all the obscure film gem lore made available by Crider & Co.

mybillcrider said...

James, indeed it is.

Cap'n Bob said...

If the French didn't give it an award the Wisconsin Cheese Board should have.

Todd Mason said...

I dare not look up their more thoroughgoing sf film from not long after, which I fear I sat through during a CREATURE DOUBLE FEATURE decades ago...what memories might I bestir?