Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Overlooked Movies -- Morgan the Pirate

I've been a sucker for pirate movies ever since I was a kid, and if you're tired of bloated efforts like the Pirates of the Caribbean series, you might try something like this one. It's about an hour and a half long, it's in glorious Technicolor, and it swashbuckles along at a ripping pace.

Steve Reeves makes a great Henry Morgan, who probably wasn't really built like Reeves, but who cares? Historical accuracy? Who cares about that, either, though some of the movie is indeed based on historical events. What you want is swordfights (and there's one really good one along with several others), sea battles (these look great, as I recall, and in the days before CGI this film has some swell-looking ships), humor (some of which probably still works), good-looking stars (Reeves and his female co-stars surely qualify), and a rousing story. It's all here. Or maybe my memory's playing me false. I loved it when I saw it on the big screen. I've seen it on TV once in the years since, and I still got a kick out of it. Give me this one instead of Johnny Depp any day.

1 comment:

Seepy Benton said...

I saw the movie when I was little, and I remember a shirtless Steve Reeves emerging from the ocean. He looked just like me.